love boldly. live fearlessly. step out.

Monday, October 24, 2011

new life

My mom seems to believe in me at all the right times - at least now that I'm an "adult," I feel that way. I find it extraordinary that someone who birthed you, who is clearly "ahead of you" in life, can one day end up being your friend. When we take this shallow earthly thing we call TIME out of the equation, it's more easily understood.

Last Friday I helped my friend deliver her baby into this world. Literally - her boyfriend was there, but didn't want to be involved in the process. The nurse said they needed one person to hold the leg, and I was so excited that that person was going to be me! I was the first one to see the head crest the surface - what a miracle this little body bobbing around in her tummy. Although daddy Reggie thought I was weird for wanting that "up-close-and-personal" view, I took it as a great honor and opportunity. I was reminded of stories of when my mom was pushing out her own kids.... dad wasn't allowed to eat his candy bar in the corner,  how he had to fight for her to not get a C-section, and how in the end, all three of us girls were there when my youngest sister, little Lizzy was born.

Baby Zolivia entered this world last Friday at 0306 in the am, and I wonder what this world will bring her. What stories will she remember of her mom?

No comments:

Post a Comment